offers year-round residencies of between two and eight weeks in Nebraska City. Open to writers, visual artists, and music composers worldwide, each resident receives accommodation, studio space, and a $100 per week stipend. Approximately 60 residencies are awarded per year. There are two deadlines each year: 1 March for residencies taking place between July and December, and 1 September for residencies between January and June.
How To Apply
Application deadlines are MARCH 1 and SEPTEMBER 1 annually.
• The March 1 deadline determines residency awards scheduled the following July – December.
• The September 1 deadline determines residency awards scheduled the following January – June.
Upcoming Session Dates:
• 2019 Session 2 : July 1 – Dec 20, 2019
• 2020 Session 1: January 6 – June 19, 2020 (application deadline September 1, 2019)
• 2020 Session 2: July 6 – December 18, 2020 (application deadline March 1, 2020)
When you indicate preferred dates in your application, be sure they fall within the session for which you are applying. If your schedule is flexible, you may note such in lieu of or in addition to exact dates in the application form. Be sure that your preferred arrival date is a Monday and your departure date, a Friday, as weekends between residents are used for cleaning and laundering of linens.
The following list gives general requirements for all applicants. Each item will be presented as a separate form for you to complete in our online application portal. Before submitting your application, download the SUPPORT MATERIALS guidelines (file links located bottom of page) for your discipline and follow the directions specific to your discipline to help prepare files. Guidelines are also noted throughout the online application process.
1. Application information including your general information and requested dates of residency.
2. Statement about submitted works (limit 200 words, ~1500 characters) and a statement of intent of what you propose to work on while at the Center including why the residency is important to you at this stage in your career (limit 200 words, ~1500 characters). Your name MUST NOT appear in the contents of either statement.
3. Contact information for two professional references who are familiar with your work and your potential to be a positive member of our small community of residents.
4. Professional history from your current resume or vita. Your name MAY appear in the contents of this information.
5. An OPTIONAL outreach proposal. If you are interested in doing outreach in our community, you can provide us with information about the type of activity or event you would like to facilitate. This is NOT required for you to be considered for a residency.
6. Support materials, or work samples, for your specific discipline. See the guidelines for your discipline below to help you prepare your materials. Your name MUST NOT appear in the contents of your support materials or in the corresponding file info entered in the online portal.
7. Application fee of $35 paid via credit card through the online portal. The fee includes our base fee plus an additional fee for media upload. All fees are paid through the portal; check or money order cannot be sent to the Center.
SUPPORT MATERIALS: Click to download PDF of specific guidelines for your discipline. File links located bottom of page.
Applications for KHN residencies must be submitted through our online application process. A $35 application fee applies to online submissions and is collected through the application portal. Applications received via USPS mail or email will not be considered and exceptions will not be made.
Residents should plan to arrive at the Center between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. (local time: CST or DST) on a Monday and depart on a Friday.
There are two airports about an hour away: Omaha Eppley Airfield (OMA) and the Lincoln Airport (LNK). To get from either airport to Nebraska City, residents can arrange for transportation with Nebraska City’s Tree City Taxi at least 24 hours prior to their arrival or departure. The taxi fare ($90 per trip) will be paid for by the Kimmel Foundation.
Residents can also consider traveling by train or bus to Lincoln or Omaha. The same arrangement with the taxi service applies. The Kansas City Airport (KCI) is two hours away. However, taxi service will not be paid for from Kansas City to Nebraska City.
Application Guidelines_Composers and Musicians
Application Guidelines_Interdisciplinary Artists
Application Guidelines_Writers and Poets
Application Guidelines_Visual Artists
KHN Center for the Arts
801 Third Corso
Nebraska City, NE 68410