1. Mount Rushmore is a national monument located in the US state of South Dakota.
2. The monument represents 150 years of American history.
3. It is carved in rock. It was made as a monumental granite sculpture of Chapter 4 US Presidents: George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Theodore Roosevelt and Abraham Lincoln.
4. The head sculptures are 18 m high and measuring 5.17 m².
5. During the construction of this sculpture, no construction worker was killed.
6. The sculpture was built for 14 years.
7. The name of Mount Rushmore derives from Justice Charles E. Rushmore, during his 1885 expedition. The Lakota Sioux Indians called the Mountain Six Grandfathers.
8. The Six Grandfathers Mountain was part of the route by which the Lakota Sioux leader Black Elk led a kind of pilgrimage, culminating in Harney Peak.
9. 400 workers worked on the construction of the sculpture.
10. The conceptual sculptor Gutzon Borglum selected these 4 US presidents for their role in preserving the Republic and expanding its territory.