cover page: http://www.youtube.com
Any public area in the neighborhoods (intended for free passage) is called “Street” – Wikipedia writes. On this public surface, people are free to move, meet, interact and socialize. The ordinary part of the brown, flatter country is also considered a street. Street pavements are usually cement, asphalt, stone or other hard substrates (stone cubes). We know the so-called “one-way street” where traffic is done in one direction. A “two-way street” is a street where traffic flows in both directions. The so-called “dead end” is the street that has a beginning and whose end is usually a “wall” or other obstacle. It’s actually a “street without end.” There is a street we call the “pedestrian zone” where only pedestrian traffic is allowed. These larger streets or pedestrian zones are usually made in squares or in the narrower cities of larger cities.
Streets have their own names that can be changed depending on the decisions of city / ruling parties. In addition to the name, all streets have numbers. Street numbers range from one to several hundred, depending on the length of the street.
The smallest (shortest) street in Sarajevo is called “Nova” (or Brothel Street from 1899). It is located in the center of the city, next to the sports-cultural-business building “Skenderija” (in the municipality Centar). It is about 80 meters long.
„Nova“ street is located on the left side of the Miljacka River, between Terezije Street (former Miće Sokolovića) and Podtekija. It belongs to the local community of Skenderija – Podtekija. It was fully constructed in 1899 and 1900 and therefore obtained the name Nova (new one).
During the Austrian-Hungarian rule seven brothels were opened in this street: “Five Machines”, “Yellow Lamp”, “Red Lamp”, “Three Roses”, “White Lamp”, “Green Lamp” and “Blue Lamp”. Austro-Hungarian rule introduces a controlled and elaborate system of administration to the city of Sarajevo for the sake of peace, order and the constant filling of the city budget. Brothels that already existed in the city were arranged in accordance with these principles. There were police, medical and financial controls for the taverns, brothels (nightlife) and the inn. The residents of the brothel streets were then dissatisfied with the shout and noise in the late hours, and petitioned for these taverns and brothels to be closed. On the left bank of the Miljacka, a little downstream of the present Skenderija Center, eventually known as Podtekija, projects and builds seven public houses in two years, even though it was a tekke of the Nashibendian order. Thus a brand new street was created called Nova, which has kept its name to this day. It is the smallest street in Sarajevo. It is about 80 meters long. At the end of the street was then the Gendarmerie Station and the Medical Station, where the girls went for a medical examination and a work permit. A number of documents from that period on business and disputes with the court and gendarmes were kept.For the past half a millennium of Sarajevo, brothels have grown in a relatively small town, modeled on larger urban centers. The pubs originally opened here, where restaurants and bars were downstairs while rooms were upstairs. The owners would hire waiters, bartenders, prostitutes (most often girls from small communities), housewives, housekeepers, maids and governesses. There is a legend of the so-called “wicker baskets” (Turkish origin: Sepet) in which beautiful hidden girls came from small areas to the city to work with the boss in brothels.The brothels were open until 1924. Two of them were reopened in 1942. They served to the German Army until 1945.
Today there are a number of residential buildings on this smallest street in the city, some of which have been renovated, but the exterior is reminiscent of 19th-century Austrian-Hungarian construction.