Over time, the skin loses elasticity. It begins to show wrinkles and signs of aging. If you take care of five small changes you will look five years younger.
1. Too much sugar negatively affects the health and youthful appearance of the skin – sugar leads to an increase in the levels of the hormone insulin. This in turn increases the production of testosterone which contributes to the appearance of acne. It makes the skin lose elasticity.
2. Healthy fats are essential for heart, brain and eye health — healthy fats are omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. These fatty acids play a key role in the structure and appearance of the skin. Eat fatty fish (mackerel, sardines or salmon) at least once a week.
3. Vitamin C is most powerful for healthy looking skin and eye-antioxidants protect the skin by limiting the formation of free radicals. Free radicals are known to damage skin cells and lead to clear signs of aging. One of the most powerful vitamins to use is vitamin C.
4. Zinc plays an important role in skin health – Zinc deficiency in the body leads to skin problems. Zinc is needed for normal cell growth. Zinc is certainly one of the most important nutrients for beauty. Zinc is found in: eggs, peas and pumpkin seeds.
5. Proteins are key to tissue repair — they build new layers of skin. In order to survive, every cell needs protein. Protein is important to replace worn or dead skin cells. Girls need 1 gram of protein per day per pound of weight. For example, a girl weighing 60 kilograms needs 60 grams of protein a day. This amount of protein is contained in a few chicken breasts, 4 eggs or 3 cups of cooked lentils. If you eat enough protein, fish and other foods that contain protein then you are getting enough protein in your body.