Pharmacists say that the bathroom is not a convenient room for storing medicines in cupboards above the sink. The bathroom is by no means a good place for a home pharmacy, although most people keep their medicines in the bathroom. Neither the kitchen nor the bedroom are also suitable medicine storage rooms. The drugs are exposed to high humidity there, which will cause the drugs to lose their effectiveness, German pharmacists claim. This statement is also valid if the user does not open the medication package.
Tips for proper drug disposal:
- Most medicines actually like cold and dry places and temperatures between 15 ° C and 25 ° C.
- Medicines should not be exposed to high temperatures or high humidity,
- Medicines should be kept in the refrigerator, on the packaging of which it is explicitly written or the pharmacist will warn you about it.
- Most medicines and cosmetics should be stored in a refrigerator (or a room protected from direct light, heat and moisture) when the mercury on the thermometer exceeds 25 ° C.
- The active substances may dissolve and disintegrate and the efficacy of the medicinal product may be reduced if the medicinal product is not adequately stored. At the same time, there may be a change in organoleptic properties, ie color, consistency, smell and taste.
- During the summer, antibiotics should be stored in the refrigerator because, for example, they would lose stability and effectiveness at room temperature. Drops, vaginal tablets, inhalers, insulin injections should be stored at a temperature of 2 to 8 ° C.
- Experts say that medicines should not be stored at temperatures below zero because freezing will occur and the effectiveness of medicines will be reduced again. For creams, it will be suspicious that lumps have appeared. Discoloration and a strange odor should be warning signs that something is wrong with ointments and gels. Basically, if the medicine looks different than usual – do not use it.
- The use of therapy sometimes takes place outside the home and known places of residence / work. If you are often away from home, carry the medicine in a bag that is always with you and keep the medicine in its original packaging.
- Do not keep medicine bottles in the car because the effect of the medication will be weakened after 24 hours (due to the influence of the sun).
- When you go shopping for your home, make sure the pharmacy is the last item on your list of places you visit while shopping.