Art therapy is the connecting thread between the conscious and subconscious state of mind. With this proper approach, the human soul can be healed. Most human problems are not on a conscious level but on a much deeper level. That is why it is not easy to eradicate them medically and verbally or with tablets, but other ways are being sought. One such way is the so-called art therapy (treatment with art) because at the level of images, metaphors and art this is possible and feasible. The name Art-Therapy is derived from the English word art + therapy. It is a treatment based on the application of art and creativity. The main goal of art therapy is the harmonization of the mental state through the development of the ability of self-expression and self-knowledge. The value of using art for therapeutic purposes is in the fact that through art a person can express and explore different feelings on a symbolic level.
Art therapy is based on the belief that the content of a person’s inner “self” is reflected in visual images that that person paints, draws or shapes in the form of a sculpture during which that person’s condition harmonizes. The mechanism of this therapy is that through art, virtually all human feelings are experienced: pain, love, joy, hatred, anger, delight, anger, fear and frustration. These feelings pass in a non-traumatic form for that person. By drawing, coloring, writing, reading stories, or shaping figures, that person solves a certain task, learns to look at his situation from a different angle, gets a deeper vision and understands his life better.
Art therapy methods:
- Metaphorical associative maps – one of the youngest directions of art therapy. It is based on the idea that a person tends to provide different types of images and texts with personal content and successfully works with awareness and transformation of that content. metaphorical associative images allow all states and aspects of a person / personality that need attention and development to be identified.
- Mandalo therapy-therapy with mandalas. A mandala is literally a “drawing in a circle”. This trend comes from folk traditions and beliefs. It is associated with the use of a healing drawing circle. Drawing or coloring mandalas gives a person the opportunity to get to know their complex characteristics and understand the cause of the condition and identify possible solutions to the problem.
- Doug-plastic – this direction has a special potential for the development of emotional intelligence, the release of old feelings and the formation of new feelings.
- Grimotherapy – the goal of therapeutic makeup is identification with yourself. There are no prohibitions or restrictions here, moreover the desired can prove to be real. After all, masks make us braver and help implement even the dumbest ideas.
For children, the best therapy is telling stories, fairy tales and fables. This includes the use of metaphors through fairy tales and other similar texts for children to better understand the patterns of their behavior, followed by the selection of the most effective patterns. There are different forms of working with fairy tales / texts: using ready-made material, meaningful author’s stories, listening to or acting out stories. There is therapy with dolls as a method of psychological correction of various conditions of children. The main feature of art therapy is the fact that this therapy is not harmful and has a mild and careful effect on the person. Therapy works directly with the human subconscious and helps to reach invisible human resources. Creativity helps to gain self-confidence and the ability to more easily express and accumulate a positive life experience. Creativity solves a wide range of problems and tasks: age and existential crisis, internal and external conflicts, losses, injuries and the like. Once they try art therapy, each person will begin to look at life differently and will observe the world through the eyes of a crater (artist, poet, sculptor) who changes the world and creates his own life. These people find their occupation, life mission and purpose.
In art therapy, there are many directions that expand with the development of fast technologies today:
- Isotherapy-cognition and discovery through drawing. The use of paints, brushes, pencils, markers and crayons is suggested here. The most important thing is that a person should not know how to draw because no one will evaluate the final work / drawing. It is important to trust the body, yourself and draw what the soul wants.
- Music therapy-music direction. A person can listen to music, play a musical instrument or create music. Many philosophers have proven the ability and healing properties of music to stimulate certain conditions and awaken different emotions in the creator of music.
- Sand therapy – involves the use of sand. Includes in-depth work with human feelings. Enables analysis of many behavioral strategies, opens access to trapped conditions, actualizes creativity and research interest.
- Bibliotherapy – the healing effect of reading or other forms of work with text. In this case, the person reads known and unknown texts. He chooses important words and composes messages from those words.
- Therapy with collage paper-creating a collage. Cut out images from paper are created in the desired folder.
- Kinotherapy – thanks to cinema and video clips, there is a discussion and re-examination of values that are important for a certain person. It is easier to watch the main character of the film than yourself. It is easier to evaluate the main character of the film than yourself. You can create a line of behavior of the main character of the film that you will project on the person / yourself.
- Photo-therapy-application of photographs in solving various psychological problems, and the development and harmonization of personality.