The “slow cooker” or “crockpot” is a pot for slow cooking of various dishes. The manufacturers point out that the main advantage of this device is the fact that the “slow cooker” performs independent cooking or cooking without supervision. This way of cooking imitates the traditional method of slow cooking that has always been used in various cultures.
A slow cooker is a smart and good investment in the household
- A slow cooker is a separate unit that is turned on electrically. Cannot be used on the stove. It consists of 3 parts: a metal outer base with an electric heater, an inner ceramic vessel (either a porcelain vessel or a stainless steel vessel) in which we cook the dish and a lid usually made of tempered glass.
- Depending on the recipe, raw or pre-processed foods, mandatory liquid (water, wine, cooking stock) and spices are placed in the bowl. The dish should be covered with a lid.
- Select one of the offered programs on the digital display (slow, medium, strong cooking) which determines the duration and temperature of slow cooking. http://www.kitchenaid.com
- Today’s current models offer the ability to control programs, temperature and cooking length using applications. A temperature maintenance program can be selected so that the dish does not cool down after cooking.
- For a slow cooker, it is important to follow the cooking steps that lead to the finished dish with full and deep flavor. That is why most dishes cooked in this way require a short processing of food that is not skipped (stewing onions, stewing vegetables, frying pieces of meat on all sides until the meat is closed, etc.). Naon such short initial preparations of dishes cooked in this pot do not require the engagement of a chef. There is no closing and opening of the lid, no mixing of dishes, no reduction / increase of the cooking temperature during the cooking process and the like. http://www.kitchenaid.com
- After a short initial preparation / processing of food, the program is switched on, which is the main and most important function of the slow cooker. The slow cooker can be used to cook traditional and popular dishes that are tastier because they take longer to cook. They can be cooked for example, sauerkraut, stuffed peppers, stews with pieces of harder meat, beans and other rich stews with legumes.
- Energy consumption is minimal because the slow cooker consumes the amount of energy worth an ordinary light bulb. http://www.kitchenaid.com https://hamiltonbeach.com/slow-cookers
- For a fuller taste of stews, stews and similar dishes, it is necessary to initially stew the food to which the spices are added. Then water or broth is added. Then the slow cooker cooking process begins. If only raw foods are used (the original process of stewing at a low temperature), the fullness of the taste of the finished dish will be absent. The fullness of the taste of the finished dish will not be better even when spices and vegetables are added abundantly afterwards. https://hamiltonbeach.com/slow-cookers
- Hard legumes (all types of dried beans, chickpeas, etc.) should be pre-soaked in water for at least 8 hours (preferably overnight). Then they should be cooked for 10 minutes on high heat. It is necessary to strain cooked legumes before transferring them to a slow cooker pot., This is an important process of eliminating some toxic combinations that dry legumes contain. These toxic substances would stay in the dish for a long time when cooked at a low temperature.
- There are slow cookers on the market that can be used for initial stewing on the stove. Do not place the ceramic cooker made of slow cookers directly on the stove as it may crack due to sudden exposure to high temperatures.
- Slow cookers are not suitable for cooking soft vegetables and green leafy vegetables (zucchini, cauliflower, broccoli, etc.) because these vegetables lose some of their nutrients, flavor and texture. It is important to read and follow the instructions for using the slow cooker.
- For all beginners in using a slow cooker, it is best to cook the first few dishes while you are at home. So you can periodically check the condition of the food in the pot. Grams and heaters of appliances from different manufacturers have different settings. It is difficult for beginners to evaluate a weak or strong program because beginners need experience with slow cookers to better handle this household appliance.
- Based on the experience gained, all dishes will be able to be cooked in a slow cookers utensil without the presence of a chef / appliance owner.
- It is advisable for each person to read the instructions and be patient until they master the use of this excellent culinary aid.