5 tips for quick cleaning of your home pharmacy
From time to time it is necessary to clean the home pharmacy and throw away all expired medicines.
- Sort medications by purpose — remove all boxes and packages from drawers and cabinets. Then sort the preparations according to their purpose and based on the frequency of application (daily or occasional use).
- Checking the expiration date – remove medicines with invalid expiration dates from the cupboards and drawers. The same goes for insulin ampoules because most ampoules last 30 to 42 days.
- Checking the dosage of medications — analyze the dosage of commonly used medications. The need to use some medications changes according to changes in health status (e.g. body weight) and level of physical activity.
- Proper disposal of invalid medicines – medicines with invalid expiration date and other useless medicines are best taken directly to a pharmacy that has a special space for disposal of expired medicines.
- Another option for disposing of useless medicines – read the instructions on the back of the package on how to safely dispose of expired medicines. Then dispose of the medicines according to the instructions on the package.