The usefulness or harmfulness of mold on food depends on the type and color of the mold
Biologists and scientists have long studied mold. Scientists say that the type of mold affects the usefulness or harmfulness of the appearance of mold on a particular type of food. Mold is not always a natural antibiotic nor is it always harmful. Mold on a slice of bread is not the same as mold on salami or some expensive dish in restaurants. The color of the mold and the type of mold affect the usefulness or harmful effect of mold in cooking and life in general.
Black mold-one of the most common and dangerous fungi although there are medicinal species from which the first antibiotic was made. This type of mold occurs on fruits and vegetables.
Green mold-a dangerous species. It is formed in fermented milk and dairy products, as well as fruits and vegetables. Spores penetrate the product. A certain product infects this type of mold completely. It does not like cold but likes high humidity conditions.
Pink mold — almost not dangerous to humans.
White mold — most commonly occurs on bread and pastries. Many types of white mold are dangerous to humans.
Blue mold is not dangerous and is sometimes used in cheese production. http://www.dorblu.com
Gray mold-is one of the most dangerous types of mold that affects almost everyone. It penetrates deep into the products.
The so-called noble mold, however, helps certain foods to mature better, enhances the taste and smell.
Cheeses – this refers to cheeses of certain varieties. Various types of useful fungal cultures (for example Penicillium and Botritis cinerea) are transported within such cheese. This lava mold is a natural food preservative. It has a positive effect on health. Normalizes bowel function. Reduces the risk of cardiovascular pathologies. These cheeses are rich in protein, phosphorus, amino acids. Calcium in cheese is better absorbed due to mold. This does not apply to mold that occurs spontaneously on cheese due to inadequate storage of cheese. This mold is dangerous to health.
Wine — Some expensive types of wine are made from grapes with gray mold. Winemakers say that noble rot gives wine value. Mold helps the grapes to get rid of excess moisture. Increases the concentration of sugar and acid. This is a prerequisite for the production of exclusive sweet wines.
Soybean co-fermentation of soybeans in the process of making sauces is performed under the influence of a fungus of the genus Aspergillus fumigatus. This mold is rich in amino acids and minerals. It has a positive effect on health.
Citric acid-store citric acid is not associated with lemon. It is made from the black mold Aspergillus niger. The mold feeds on glucose and sucrose. Thus it produces citric acid.
Most molds are toxic to health though. Mold can cause some diseases (gastrointestinal disorders, nausea, abdominal pain). A reaction to mold can cause itching and allergies. Inhalation of mold can cause bronchial asthma and allergies. Particularly resistant strains of hazelnuts literally grow into the human body. They cause various benign and malignant tumors. Mycotoxins are toxins that produce mold. There are more than 400 species of mycotoxins. The most dangerous are:
Aflatoxins (appear on buckwheat grains, rice, corn, tea, coffee, dried fruits and nuts). If a person eats too much food poisoned with aflatoxin, there are signs of acute poisoning and liver problems. Nausea, headache, and liver pain, weakness, impaired coordination, loss of appetite — then the patient should see a doctor immediately.
Fuminosins most commonly occur in spoiled grains (especially corn). This substance is carcinogenic to humans. It causes the development and development of malignant tumors.
Deoxynivalenol is a mycotoxin in moldy grains. It destroys immunity and is the cause of severe diseases of the liver, kidneys and stomach.
Zearalenone is often found in walnuts, black pepper and corn. It acts as the hormone estrogen. It affects the function of the mammary gland and genitals. It does not decompose during heat treatment.
Ochratoxin A is produced in legumes, beer, grapes and wine. It adversely affects the immune system, nervous system, liver, kidneys and reproductive system. May cause tumors. It is dangerous for pregnant women because it penetrates the placenta and can affect the fetus. The degree of mold toxicity should not be checked independently by each person. There is a risk of an allergic reaction or serious poisoning. Do not clean the mold from the product, but throw the product in the trash immediately. Most mycotoxins are resistant to heat treatment. That is why it is pointless to fry or heat food to destroy the poison.
Hofmeister GmbH & Co.KG
Kemptener Str. 17-24
Tel.: + 49 8374 92-0
Fax: + 49 8374 92-160