A handful of pumpkin seeds solves as many as 9 health problems
Pumpkin seeds have been used for thousands of years for medicinal purposes. They are a rich source of magnesium, potassium, calcium, iron, zinc and vitamin K. They are an excellent choice for snacking because they are rich in omega-3 fatty acids (which the body needs to maintain heart health and regulate blood pressure).
- Cancer-research by Spanish scientists says that pumpkin seeds contain compounds that fight cancer cells. A study by German scientists says that women who have gone through menopause and eat pumpkin seeds every day have a 23% lower risk of developing breast cancer. Sunflower seeds have the same effect.
- Prostate Health-Pumpkin seed oil is used to treat an enlarged prostate (hyperplasia). This oil contains phytochemicals and antioxidants that reduce the level of free radicals in the body and prevent the formation of cancerous cells.
- Relieve menopausal symptoms – Pumpkin seeds are a great natural way to improve mood and alleviate menopausal symptoms in women. They regulate heat attacks, headaches, reduce joint pain and the frequency of sudden mood swings.
- They reduce cholesterol – research says that pumpkin seeds can reduce bad cholesterol by 13% and the level of total cholesterol by 10%. They reduce the risk of blood clots, diseases of the cardiovascular system, stroke and heart attack.
- Protect the body from diabetes-Pumpkin seeds are rich in healthy unsaturated fatty acids. Efficacy in regulating blood sugar levels and increased body sensitivity to insulin has been established. Numerous experts recommend pumpkin seeds to diabetics as a food for everyday consumption.
- Affect body weight reduction — they are a rich source of fiber and protein — substances crucial in weight loss. Only 30 g of seeds have about 5 g of protein, which prolongs the feeling of satiety. A small cup of pumpkin seeds has 285 calories, so this food should be consumed in moderation.
- They improve mood – they are great for mental and physical health. Scientists say that pumpkin seeds show excellent results in reducing the symptoms of depression. They are great for reducing stress and anxiety.
- Relieve arthritis – Scientists have found that pumpkin seeds have an anti-inflammatory effect that alleviates the symptoms of arthritis. About 30 grams of pumpkin seeds are recommended daily for people who have symptoms of arthritis.
- Prevent the development of osteoporosis – people who lack zinc in the body are recommended to consume pumpkin seeds. They are an excellent source of zinc-a mineral needed to build bones. Just one quarter of a cup of pumpkin seeds contains as much as 17% of the recommended daily value of zinc.