5 safety rules for proper storage of food in refrigerators
- Infection with pseudotuberculosis is most often caused by bacteria multiplied on products that have been stored at low temperatures for a long time and vegetables that have been in storage for a long time. There is a whole group of microorganisms that multiply at low temperatures (below 10 ° C). There are also such forms of bacteria that incredibly survive even in sub-zero temperatures. Infection usually occurs if a person bites vegetables on the surface of which rodent secretions have matured. Microbes with food get into the human body if you do not wash the vegetables thoroughly. Yersinia bacteria easily multiply on vegetables, especially rotten and stale vegetables. Favorable conditions for reproduction are created due to increased humidity. Bacteria multiply at an unprecedented rate if the vegetable trade is neglected and in poor condition. These microorganisms prefer cabbage and lettuce, with “yersinia” bacteria being found on the outer leaves and inside the fruit (head). They have amazing endurance. Therefore, lovers of cabbage and lettuce should not take risks, but follow the rules and the way of maintaining this vegetable.
- The symptoms of infection with this bacterium (yersiniosis) are reminiscent of the symptoms of the flu in the beginning with the presence of diarrhea. One of the characteristic manifestations of this disease is skin rashes and joint pain, among other things. Other symptoms are similar to those of acute respiratory infections (fever, headache, insomnia, sore throat, sneezing and coughing). Later, gastrointestinal symptoms (nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, diarrhea) occur. Microbes can enter the blood, so there is a risk of damage to the kidneys, bladder, liver and eyes. An accurate diagnosis is made by laboratory findings after immunoassays.
- A person should be careful if: if the disease does not last long (up to one and a half months) and manifests itself differently (compared to the common cold) and flows in waves with improvement and worsening and recurrence of symptoms regardless of treatment. If a person feels severe weakness, complete breakdown and loss of ability to work. The person should pay attention to improving the condition, reducing weakness and sweating after using antibiotics – in this case it is an indicator of a bacterial infection because antibiotics do not work on viral infections. If the gastrointestinal tract and upper respiratory tract are damaged at the same time. If a person hurts several joints at once – this is also one of the signals. If there was a possibility of infection with fresh vegetables, uncooked dairy products, especially if these products were kept in the refrigerator.
- Safety rules – the main way of infection with pseudotuberculosis is during improper and reckless handling of products. If you follow the rules of using the refrigerator, no wrong products will be in the refrigerator. The refrigerator should be washed periodically and the necessary temperature maintained. The products will then be preserved and free of contamination with some dangerous types of microbes – even if the refrigerator is not sterile or the products are kept in clean compartments for longer.
- Do not allow vegetables, meat, fish, cheese and bread in the immediate vicinity in a bag or refrigerator. Do not store open products, especially those that will not be subjected to heat treatment (dairy products, etc.). Observe the hygiene of the refrigerator, cutting boards (separately for meat, fish, bread, vegetables, etc.). Observe the general hygiene of everything that comes in contact with the products. Do not buy or use expired products. Remove the excess upper leaves from the cabbage. Carefully wash vegetables and fruits, especially cabbage and lettuce. Rinse the cabbage leaves with hot water after cutting / separating the leaves.