Tips for repairing and preserving the voice (and vocal cords)
Phoniatrics is a field of medicine that studies pathology, methods of treatment and prevention of voice disorders. Phoniatar is therefore an ENT doctor with special training in this medical field. Patients who turn to phoniatricians are most often people who have an increased voice load (teachers, educators, professors, singers, speakers, dispatchers, social workers and officials). Other patients are people who have voice problems. Every person should seek the help of a phoniatrician if the chronic hoarseness lasts longer than two weeks. Phoniatar will provide professional help and advice, diagnosis and treatment of diseases caused by voice disorders.
- Some children often scream causing total vocal hoarseness other than sore throat. Then you should consult a pediatrician because screaming and excitement of the child can be a manifestation of other diseases.
- Adults sometimes have hoarseness of voice and the diagnosis is mucosal atrophy. There is an effective and accessible method for treating this type of voice disorder. This is the use of wet inhalations using a “nebulizer” device (a special inhaler).
- Adults often drink milk and honey, or gargle with medicinal liquid with chamomile, sage or baking soda solution. It is always useful in case of acute respiratory infections. A warm drink and throat rinse soften and moisturize the pharyngeal mucosa. They bring relief to the patient.
- Dietary nutrition for people with voice impairment. Doctors always recommend abstaining from spicy foods to people with laryngitis (the general name for all types of inflammatory processes of the larynx and trachea). Spicy, very cold or very hot foods always have an adverse effect on the voice. This type of food injures the mucous membranes of the pharynx and border areas of the larynx.
- Some people drink a glass of brandy to clear their throats. Strong alcohol and brandy complicate the inflammatory condition of the throat. The situation becomes even worse after a short euphoria.
- Singers can eat seeds. Seeds do not affect voice capabilities. Singers are free to eat the seeds if they have no digestive problems.
- Smoking has a detrimental effect on the speech apparatus. Smoking significantly increases the likelihood of chronic throat diseases. It causes the appearance of polyps on the vocal cords which makes the voice rougher and hoarse. It also causes oncological diseases.
- The color of the voice is given with the birth of each person. Educators and stage speech experts deal with the installation of the voice (adjusting the throat for better resonance of tones). There are doctors, phonopedists who also carry out rehabilitation due to serious disorders of vocal function.
- The voice is often lost or hoarse due to a sore throat – a person should be silent – simply put. Or, the person’s conversations should be kept to a minimum. The patient should have his throat treated during the day. It is advisable to use a bottle with some disinfectant. The throat should also be treated regularly with antibacterial and anti-inflammatory agents (lozenges or spray solution). People should never whisper because then the load on the muscular apparatus of the larynx increases. Voice strain can cause bleeding into the vocal cords on the basis of acute laryngitis. Then the treatment is long and serious and it is not certain that the patient will be cured without surgery.
- Loud speech can affect the voice – one should try to make the speech in long phrases instead of too fast or too loud in a high tone. If a person often speaks loudly with sharp and tense tones, then over time there is a danger of small knots on the vocal cords. These small nodules are an essential obstacle to the normal functioning of the voice. Frequent change of intonation is also desirable during speech because monotonous speech does not have the best effect on a person’s vocal abilities. It is also harmful to whisper a lot and often.
- The connection between the voice and the return of gastric contents to the esophagus. This is gastroesophageal reflux. It is a serious problem that leads to irritation of the mucous membrane next to the larynx and even its upper part. It is necessary to perform a gastroenterological examination. The patient should accept endoscopic examination according to the doctor’s recommendation.
- Voice and the influence of outside temperature – sudden oscillations of air temperature are not desirable, especially when leaving a heated room in extreme cold. Outdoor conversations in extreme cold and humidity should be kept to a minimum. An old proverb says that every person should keep their mouths closed in cold air.
- Inhaler – can transfer medical preparations exclusively to the upper and middle respiratory organs (while the nebulizer with the spray transports drugs to the lower respiratory tract). For steam inhalations, it is accepted that patients use medicinal liquids, essential oils and other homeopathic remedies. This type of treatment with steam is undoubtedly effective due to banal problems and colds. It is not effective in cases where antibiotics (and anti-inflammatory drugs) need to reach the airways directly. Hot steam is also dangerous for children. And children do not often know how to properly inhale medicines properly.
- A nebulizer is a device used to use liquid medicines. This is also the main difference with the inhaler. Liquid drugs will not reach the stomach or mouth, but the lungs and bronchi that need treatment. This is a huge advantage if the patient needs to be treated with antibiotics. The use of this device is justified in the case of cough, rhinitis, pharyngitis and bronchial asthma. Drugs can only be dissolved in saline.