5 types of vegetables that are better to eat cooked
It is believed that fresh vegetables have more useful substances. But some types of vegetables are more beneficial for health after heat treatment (the collection of toxins is slowed down, metabolism and liver function are activated, etc.). The heat treatment should be appropriate (boiled in water, steamed or baked in the oven but not at a high temperature because the heat kills all the benefits).
- Tomatoes contain the antioxidant lycopene, which prevents the development of cancer cells and swelling. Boiled and baked tomatoes are best adopted. Put the tomatoes in the oven for a few minutes even if you are making a vegetable salad. This brings aroma and benefits and does not affect the taste of the food.
- Carrots – peeled or boiled carrots contain 3 times more antioxidants than fresh carrots. During heat treatment, beta-carotene is secreted from which vitamin A is synthesized in the body. Vitamin A slows down aging and the accumulation of toxins. Prepare the whole carrot to preserve the medicinal substances in the carrot as much as possible.
- Beetroot – contains vitamins A, group B, vitamin C, PP, minerals, amino acids. Part of the useful substances is lost with heat treatment, but the rest is better absorbed and has a better effect on digestion and hematopoiesis (blood production), activates metabolism and the work of the liver, kidneys, and blood vessels. Boil carrots in unsalted water or bake in the oven. Take care that the carrots are not overcooked during cooking in the water.
- Legumes – the highest concentration of lectins is in legumes. These proteins belong to the group of antinutrients. And they affect (as the name suggests) the body’s ability to absorb nutrients. The concentration of lectin decreases after cooking, thus increasing the benefits of legumes. Place the beans in a small amount of salted water. Cook until they are done.
- Spinach is one of the best types of leafy vegetables in terms of vitamin and mineral composition. Spinach contains vitamin B6, which is better absorbed when heated. Cook spinach in water or steam it.