Potato is an excellent cosmetologist in home conditions
Herbalists and phytotherapists give many recipes with potatoes for care and use at home. Recipes with potatoes are simple and available to everyone.
Potatoes are good to use, especially during cold days
During autumn and winter, the wind and cold dry out the skin. The skin becomes rough and dry. Potato tubers contain a large amount of starch (15% to 25%), protein, pectin, organic acids (citric, malic, oxalic acid), vitamins C, B1, B2, B6, PP, carotene, folic acid. Potatoes are rich in potassium and contain a wide range of microelements. The therapeutic properties of potatoes include anti-inflammatory and healing. That is why potatoes have long been used in home cosmetics and for the preparation of homemade care products.
Both raw and cooked potatoes are used for cosmetic purposes
Raw potatoes soothe irritated skin and remove swelling. It is applied in the form of porridge, juice or fresh cut fruit.
In folk medicine, fresh potatoes (grated or halved) are applied to burns (including sunburns), painful irritations, and are also used against trophic ulcers.
The pulp from the tuber is placed on cotton gauze in a layer of one cm thick. Then such a compress is placed on the damaged area. A new freshly made compress is applied after one to two hours. The compress should not be kept overnight, but the problem area should be smeared with ointment. A new fresh compress is applied the next day. Potato juice is used similarly.
Place a raw grated potato (or just half of a potato) on the problem area due to a burn caused in the kitchen (during cooking) and before the appearance of blisters. Raw potatoes also treat frostbite on the nose (due to the cold) or potato juice compresses. Several times a day, rub the nipples with juice from fresh potato skins.
Fresh potatoes reduce inflammation and swollen eyelids. Wrap a freshly grated potato in cotton gauze and place it on the swollen eyelids. Hold for 20 minutes. You can smear the eyelids with nutritious potato mash. Then rinse the eyelids with cold water or chamomile tea.
7 recipes (tips) with potatoes for face and hand care
- Oily skin – oily skin will be well cleansed by a mask made of pulp of less raw potatoes mixed with egg white and a spoonful of honey. Honey is not tolerated by all people, so you can use a spoonful of oatmeal and a pinch of salt instead of honey. Keep the mixture on your face for 20 minutes. Rinse with room temperature water.
- Mask for dry skin – dry skin will be refreshed by a mask made of one raw potato tuber mixed with a spoonful of fat milk cream and a few drops of vegetable oil.
- Bath for rough skin of hands and cracked hands – hold hands for 15 minutes in strained water (in which potatoes were boiled). Then smear your hands with a fatter cream and put on cotton gloves.
- Water in which potatoes have been boiled will soften the skin well, and potato puree is an excellent remedy against skin irritation on the face.
- Put mashed potatoes, milk and butter on chapped hands with a lot of wrinkles – such a mask will moisturize, nourish and soften the skin and iron out wrinkles. It is useful to apply a mashed potato mask on the face, especially after the age of 50.
- A mask for which peeled potatoes are boiled in a small amount of milk and crushed will well remove swelling, iron out wrinkles and refresh the skin of any type. Put the resulting warm mushy mixture on your face.
- Mix mashed potatoes with a spoonful of vegetable oil or one egg. This is a face wrinkle removal mask. Put the mask on the face, neck and décolletage. Put a cloth handkerchief (fabric) over it. Wash off the mask with warm water after 20 minutes.