Passionflower tea is recommended for insomnia, anxiety and restlessness
Most people today have insomnia or restrict sleep for various reasons. Sleep is necessary for a healthy and happy life. The organism switches to economical combustion while we sleep. Poisons and waste are broken down by the lymphatic and blood systems, and cells collect new energy.
There are many plants in nature that have a calming effect. Effective medicines are made from these plants (which are used for various nervous disorders). Passionflower or Jesus’ wreath is one of those plants. Passiflora is also called the “flower of passion”. Passionflower belongs to the Passifloraceae family. Most of the plants from this family grow in a subtropical climate, most often in Latin America. Some types of passionflower are grown for their beauty. They have the function of decorating gardens while some species are cultivated for making medicine and food.
The most famous is the passion fruit (maracuja), whose fruits are edible and are also used for medicinal purposes.
Passionflower is often used as a medicinal preparation for sleep due to its mild sedative effect
It also belongs to plants that reduce anxiety and restlessness. The effect of passionflower is mild compared to other plants. There are no known contraindications. The medicinal effect can be explained by the chemical composition of the plant. Namely, the plant contains a lot of biologically active substances (for example flavonoids, glycosides, phenols and organic acids).
Passionflower is widely used in folk medicine. It has antibacterial, antifungal, anesthetic, sedative and antispasmodic effects.
The plant also has an anxiolytic effect and is therefore used to alleviate anxiety, excitement, nervousness, unfounded fears (fear without cover), convulsions and sleep problems.
The aerial part of the plant without fruits is used to prepare medicinal tea. The plant is used in official medicine. Sedatives are made on the basis of passionflower.
Passionflower is also useful against pain due to the monthly cycle, headache and toothache (because it has spasmolytic and mild sedative effects).
The most famous health benefits of passionflower:
- Passionflower tea is recommended an hour before bed due to insomnia, anxiety and restlessness. Pour one tablespoon of dried passionflower leaves with one cup of boiled water. Let the tea cool. The tea is ready for use after straining.
- Passionflower tincture can also be used. Add about 20 to 30 drops to a glass of boiled water. Drink an hour before going to bed.
- Homemade passionflower tincture. Pour two spoons of dry herb with half a liter of brandy. Leave for 2 weeks in a dry and dark place. Strain after the time is up. Keep the tincture in a cooler and dark place so that it does not evaporate and lose its healing properties. Drink 20 to 40 drops of the tincture with a small amount of water no more than three times a day.
- One cup of passionflower tea per day is recommended for people with hypertension. Do not drink tea and use blood pressure medications at the same time, because then blood pressure can drop to dangerously low levels.
- Passion flower can be combined with mint and lemon balm. Pour one spoonful of the mixture with a cup of boiled water. Drink a third of a cup of tea during the day.